This course will help you become familiar with the role and responsibilities of the Designated Senior Person for Safeguarding Children in a school or further education college. It will develop both your competence and confidence in carrying out this role.
During the session you will:
* Learn about the role of the Designated Safeguarding Children Officer (DSO) and their key areas of responsibility.
* Learn about the key legislation and guidance affecting the education service’s response to concerns about a child’s safety or welfare.
* Understand how to make appropriate decisions about the action to take when informed of a range of concerns about a child or young person.
* Explore the issues in connection with recording and sharing of information, including that of confidentiality, and state how a referral to children’s social care should be made.
* Examine the emotional dimension of safeguarding work and identify ways in which the designated senior person can support others.
* Develop confidence and awareness of the role and function of the LADO and current local trends.
* Become aware of the thresholds of need and understand the process of early help.
The Course is facilitated by Jeanette Rigby. Jeanette is highly experienced in all areas of Safeguarding and delivers training on Safeguarding Level 1 and Safer Recruitment in Education Settings.
Delegates will receive a certificate on completion of the course, which is accredited by the Wigan Safeguarding Children Board.
Cost £100 per person including all training, certification, lunch and refreshments.