Friday 27th March 2020 (9.30am – 4pm)
Cost: £189pp, includes lunch, resources and certificate
Presented by Dr Sam Littlemore, this one-day training will enable participants to develop an awareness of a range of conditions that can have a significant impact on a child / young person’s development, and be able to provide effective support and sign-posting.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Define the terms “learning disability” and “learning difficulty”
- Define the terms autism, Asperger syndrome and autistic spectrum
- Identify some of the possible causes of learning disability and a number of learning difficulties (e.g. autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyspraxia, etc.)
- Identify the core difficulties experienced by people with learning disabilities and explain how to provide effective support
- Describe the key features of autism (including the “triad of impairments”)
- Consider the experience of people with autism – communication and interaction, the sensory world, obsessions, repetitive behaviours and routines
- Identify key features of some of the other more common developmental disorders (e.g. ADHD and dyspraxia) and how these impact on the individual’s experience of the world
- Explain how to provide effective support and build on people’s strengths, abilities and talents using a person-centred approach
- Describe the range of services available and how to refer to other professionals / agencies for more specialist advice, guidance and support.
To enrol, click on the link below and return the completed booking form to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively, call 01942 403050 to speak with Sam.